ADETOLA; a story for days❤💖

 I didn't grow up in Lagos. People assume that some states are just full of villages. I'm not trying to be narcissistic, but I don't come from a village either. I grew up in Ikere-Ekiti, a town in Ekiti state, Nigeria. I was okay with where I grew up until I entered secondary school. Everyone either grew up in Lagos or Ogun state, so when I told people that I grew up in Ekiti state, they were surprised that I spoke English quite well and without a prominent Yoruba accent; the accent's there, but it's not heavy. It wasn't a pleasant experience, and it made me feel like growing up in Lagos meant your parents had money. Looking back on that memory, I realised that my parents had money. They used their money to ensure I was equal wherever I went or to whomever I met. My primary school was a different ball game; unlike the kids that grew up in Lagos who had to carry their lunches to school from home, my school provided us with lunch every day; this piece of information fascinated people again, and that was when I decided not to be ashamed of where I grew up or how I grew up. Growing up in Ikere was one of the best things that happened to me. 

We've established the fact that I attended primary school in Ekiti state. Someone might ask, 'What about your secondary school?' My secondary school; it is in Ogun state. Where my classmates wrote multiple exams to multiple schools, my father was sure I would get into the school. Its entrance examination was the only one I wrote while transitioning from primary to secondary school. Call it a leap of faith or whatever; I call it destiny. Daddy was more enthusiastic than I was; I saw my admission form after he had filled it. Sometimes I wonder what if I didn't pass the examination. Would he have me wait it out that year, or would he have made me apply to another school? I secretly hoped that it was the latter. At that time, I was already entering school with kids a year younger than I was because I was a little bit obsessed with Primary six and the primary school leaving certificate that I still haven't collected; bro, it's been ten years since I left primary school.

Secondary school or high school because, in the real sense, I went to a high school. High school was a little tricky for me; I had led a very sheltered life before entering my second level of education, so loosening up was a big deal for me; I tried to fit into everything and nothing at once; it was downright exhausting. I lost interest in school from SS2, I think? I'm not sure of the reason why I keep going to school. I mentioned destiny previously; it's safe to say that all the relationships I built in high school were destined to be. Life looked like it wasn't kind then, but now I beg to disagree; life was too kind then. My friends from high school are still my friends; the people I don't contact often are included because they are still my friends. The notion of humans assuming that not keeping in contact means falling out of friendship is unnecessary; it's absurd. You may not know what to say on a phone call or through chatting on social media, but it doesn't mean you don't have anything to say to that person. It all boils down to how you and the other person understand each other. Nonetheless, to my friends and classmates from Class of Glory 2019, if you ever read this, just know that I miss you; I think about you occasionally. If I was to relive those six years again, I would choose to be with you all again.

Back to me, there were times I viewed my life as a tedious one. Why did I do that? I tried keeping up with people during this phase of my life. Keeping up with people becomes very hard when these people want to avoid keeping up with you. I remember crying on my first day of secondary school because my classmate was rude to me; come to think of it, she just stated a fact, and my sorry ass didn't want to agree with it, which resulted in crying. I was susceptible in my teenage years, but now I don't care about what goes on in the world anymore; I'm aloof, neither here nor there. I'll blame it on love; I fell in love too early in my life, a decision I do not regret, but I do feel sorry for my older self and happy for my younger self. My younger self got to experience the good, bad, beautiful and ugly sides of romantic love. My older self doesn't want the word 'Love' to echo near her; it is a sorrowful tale.

My childhood was pleasant; it was nice, a memory I wouldn't hesitate to relive. My parents were the best and are still the best. Refrain from assuming we have had our fallouts; we have more times than I can number. As subtle as I think myself to be, I firmly believe I was the most stubborn child amongst my parents' children; I'm no goat; I just have a little strong will. I was also a meticulous and calculating child; it was only worthwhile if it was beneficial. I wonder why my detailed character didn't come to play when I became a teenager; this period was my fallen soldier period, and even my parents noticed. I was smart, too, in my younger days, but what's left is just me trying to be clever; I try not to overthink it and blame it on the complexity of the Nigerian tertiary education system. My uncle nicknamed me 'Professor' because I was always reading paperbacks. My curiosity level was higher than a regular child's; there was always a question for a moment. Now, I leave it as it is handed to me; I rarely question things unless needed, and I need help finding heads or tails of it. I liked the nickname then, but now I feel like I let my dear uncle down, but who cares? Life can't always be what we want it to be.

Don't think I do not appreciate love because of what I said earlier. I love seeing people in love, and I hope I'll be able to find love again because we human beings were made to love and to be loved. I pride myself on loving without many conditions because only God can give unconditional love. When I love you, I express it in more ways than none, and I'll never leave you in doubt; I think I'm romantic. That's enough assurance for whoever says I'll be cold to them or shun them if they confess their feelings to me. If I don't like you, I'll not be rude about it, and if I do want you, you will know even though I have problems confessing my feelings in the preliminary stages. As the saying goes, 'time will tell'; that's the kind of lover I am. My love language, even though I still don't wholly grab the logic behind those 5 actions, I love physical touch, words of affirmation and quality time; let me do the gift-giving and service for you.

I have only two birth names. My mother is a very non-conventional woman; she said just two names are okay for one's survival on Earth. She and my father gave me only two names; people hardly believe me when I tell them this, but there's nothing really I can do about it. I'm an only daughter and the last child of my parents; oops, I wanted to exude firstborn vibes, but I've burst my bubble. I have two elder siblings; think twice before visiting me. My family is lovely, and I'm glad to be a part of this family.

My first name is Temiloluwa which means "Mine is the Lord's", which could also be translated as "My own is for God". Adetola is my middle and second name. I love music, not the extra loud ones, but I still listen to vibey music when necessary. I love rap music, ironic right, but it's still my taste in music. I just discovered two artists, David Kushner and Stephen Sanchez; you can say that they are my elements for now. If you ask me who my favourite musician is, I'll say Jon Bellion without thinking twice, but I love Kendrick Lamar a little too much. You could kidnap me because you played a Melanie Martinez song during the pickup. My strong forts are Lecrae, Hulvey and Wande. You'll catch me listening to these six people on repeat. With music, I'll call myself an explorer; my Spotify wrapped last year labelled me as 'The Voyager'. Someone might search for these six people and realise they are foreign musicians; I just started having a thing for Nigerian music some 5 years ago, so my musician count probably needs to be higher than expected. Nonetheless, I like Fireboy DML, Zinoleesky, Johnny Drille, The Kosokos, Simi and Adekunle Gold, Asake helps me up my lyrics game, and the Show Dem Camp is my go-to duo.

Before you come for my head, I am a K-Drama fan. Contrary to what people think about K-Dramas, they are logical, and being a fan girl is okay. My favourite Korean actor is Park Seo Joon, and next in line is Park Hyung Shik. My favourite actresses are Son Ye Ji and Park Min Young. My favourite Korean Rom Com stands at What Is Wrong With Secretary Kim. My favourite Korean Horror and thriller series is Happiness.

It will be wrong to assume that I only watch K-dramas; I'm a Marvel fanatic, a breath of fresh air when frustrated. I love action movies, too but don't overthink it. I can try horror movies. 

That's about it for now.

Love,

Adetola💖❤

I just realized that I had never written indepthly on myself.

So here we are, a random get to know me.

I do hope you enjoyed reading.

Musical Stories for this read;

Personal by Zinoleesky

Simple and Sweet by Jon Bellion

N95 by Kendrick Lamar

Peace😍😘

See you soon😎

Comments

  1. For someone that doesn't really like bio-stories and also lengthy stuffs, I really enjoyed reading this.
    It was more like a time to stop thinking of myself for a moment.
    A great one here babe❤️.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And she has done it again😌👌
    Indeed, you are entirely Fascinating Adetola. Thanks for sharing a part of life.
    I am definitely going to save this one🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I think I'm romantic"

    That line got me😌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, My romance game is confirm😂😌😎
      I'm happy it caught your fancy

      Delete
  4. Beautiful piece,Temi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts