INDIGO

"There's an iota of truth in every lie that is told" Sybil's mother whispered into her ear. "Does that mean Daddy may not be lying completely?" she asked her mother quietly. "Maybe?" she grunted has she lifted Sybil into her arms. "But Grandma told me that a lie is a lie and it could never be true" Sybil argued while fiddling with her mother's hijab. "Grandma's right but wrong at the same time" her mother replied making that face she made when she was exhausted. Their small house came into view and Sybil's mother set her down so she could walk to the front door. "Mummy" she called quietly as her mother jiggled the keys to find the right one. "Yes my love?" "Does he lie every time?" Sybil asked. "I don't think so honey. If he lied every time then Grandma would change her perception about lies because she would do anything for her son"


"Happy Birthday Sybil! I love you so much honey. Mummy cherishes you, never forget that baby girl." The voice note played for the millionth time and Sybil kept listening to it. "She's not coming this year too?" Aliyah asked. "It doesn't look like it. She took the full custody ruling seriously or she doesn't want to reminded of him just by looking at me" Sybil stared out of the car window; she wasn't impressed, both parents had failed her again this year. "I thought the court  said she could come see you every year; at least once?" Aliyah was curious as to why her older cousin was always neglected. "They did but Mom's a Hijabi; she believes in complete obedience to authority. She isn't responsible for me so she wouldn't see me." her eyes drifted to her cousin as she spoke. "That's a little fucked up. My mom's an Hijabi too but she doesn't take shit from people" the younger woman was trying to comfort her cousin. "I kind of have a feeling that this year would be a little different" Sybil commented before turning back to the window.


"Uncle Raymond!!!" Aliyah screamed has she came down from the car. "Look who it is! how is college Aliyah?" Sybil's dad smiled broadly at the two women standing in his driveway. "Hi Dad" his daughter made effort to remind him that she was standing there. "Hi Sybil" his voice wasn't as enthusiastic as it was anymore. Sybil carefully opened the car trunk and pulled out their bags. The story was beyond a father not wanting anything to do with his daughter despite the fact that the court ruling was in his favour. "Come on in Aliyah, it must have been a stressful journey for you." Raymond was very giddy as he and his niece entered the house. "Dad?" Sybil called out to her father but he didn't turn around. 

"Mama please take me with you" Sybil's tears were very loud. "I'm sorry baby, the judge said no. I'm so sorry baby" Aria wept like a child as she held her daughter. She had just gotten a divorce and custody of her daughter was forfeited to her husband, Raymond. "Baby, don't worry. Daddy's gonna take very good care of you, I trust him to do that" Aria smiled at her daughter who was bawling her eyes out.

"Divorce wasn't the best option" Aliyah said to her cousin. "At that moment it was and it's still the best decision Mama made for herself" Sybil replied. "Why did you say so?" the younger woman was curious and wanted answers. "It started with the tiny little bruises on her arms; she always said it was nothing and she started wearing long sleeves even when it was hot. Then the arm bruises got bigger and wider; she said she was sleepwalking and bumping into things around the house. I wondered if she was stupid or she was delusional." Sybil stared into space for a few seconds before turning to her younger cousin. "It's a big day tomorrow, let's go to bed Aliyah."


Purple is the colour of royalty or so it seems.

"Good morning Uncle Raymond" Aliyah greeted her uncle. "Hey sweet girl. How was the night?" he asked beaming at the younger woman. "It was nice but I couldn't find Sybil when I woke up. Have you seen her anywhere?" Sybil had left that morning because she couldn't stand her father's cold attitude  towards her. "I haven't seen her too" his shifty eyes gave him up. "She left, didn't she?" Aliyah asked her uncle. "She reminds of failure and that's why I can't stand her" he replied and continued what he was doing. "What kind of failure? Failure to protect the woman you claimed to love? or failure to see that you have messed with the life of the child you prayed for? Tell me Uncle Ray, what kind of failure does Sybil remind you of? Because I don't understand why that self sufficient young woman reminds you of failure." for the first time in her life, Aliyah raised her voice at her a family member. "I'm leaving. I'm going after her because you don't deserve a daughter like her." In no time the young woman had packed her luggage and walked out of the front door.

"You have to be joking. I can't leave Sybil with you" Aria screamed at her husband the night he signed the divorce papers. "My parents especially my mother want their grandchild" Raymond shouted back at her. "Your two timing mother? What guarantee do I have that she'll take care of my child? You hit me and she hits me, I don't think Sybil will be fine" Aria's busted lip quivered as she looked at her abusive husband. 

Sybil stood on the walkway beside the bridge. She stared at the river underneath the bridge until a feminine voice pulled her out of her trance. "Why are you here?" Aliyah asked her older cousin. "I think it's all my fault. I shouldn't have been born, he sees me as a taint on his perfect life." Aliyah stared at her cousin. "He was never really around for us and anytime he came home, he left her with a new bruise. Her hijabs became longer every year and she stopped wearing dresses and skirts, she stuck to pants every time. I couldn't decipher why her countenance was always fickle, it was always hard to see her cry every time he visited; she was always smiling whenever she was with me. Now I feel so sorry that was I born, he doesn't even look me in the eye!" she was near tears at this point. Aliyah moved closer to her and pulled her into her arms. "He really doesn't deserve you. Look at you, at 21 you're already working on your doctoral thesis and you've achieved a lot without his help. You're stronger than you imagine so pull yourself together and discard this man. Don't let him get to you and your mom anymore. Indigo and purple are the colours of prolonged pain but also the colours of royalty. Your bruises are marks of war and victory, don't ever forget that" Aliyah's voice lingered in Sybil's ears; the perfect voice of reasoning.




Hey guys!!!

I'm here again ooo.

I really do hope you enjoyed reading this.

The musical stories;

You Should See Me In A Crown by Billie Eilish

Deniro by Alec Benjamin

Home To You by Sigrid

In This Place by Julia Micheals


From me to you: 

You are stronger than you think.

Don't let your indigo be labelled as bruises.

I love you💖💖

See you soon.

Comments

  1. Wow. Wow. Just wow.
    There are no words really. It's amazing how you can such stories alive Adétólá.
    I totally love and enjoyed the read. Amazing one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for always keeping your imagination alive. I can't wait to fascinate you again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts