THE MIRROR'S PERSPECTIVE

 Every morning, we get ready for a new day, standing in front of our mirrors, contemplating on which character we intend to look like. The mirror sees the change of clothes, the change in lipstick shade and the change in smiles. Some of us even practice our mantra in front of the mirror telling our reflections 'It's a new day let's get it!', 'You can do this!', 'You are strong, bold and beautiful',  'You can take on the world today!' and so many other motivations we can think of, the mirror sees this also. 



I stood in front of my mirror one day but I couldn't see my reflection. "Was my mirror distorted or dirty?" I asked silently until I realized that I wasn't myself that morning, I was someone else; the corporate clothes and stilettos contradicted my laid-back style because I had a job interview and I had to dress the part. The mirror stared at me, subtly mocking me for being a different person that day "I just need a job nothing more than that". I told my mirror as I adjusted my getup before stepping out of my room.

Later that evening I was back in front of my mirror, standing under its scrutiny. "The character is supposed to be a charming girlfriend" I whispered as I looked at my reflection, laden with heavy makeup and a dark lipstick shade "Anything to capture his attention". It felt like my mirror had spoken to me, scolding me for being an attention-seeker but I couldn't care less because I will do anything to keep his gaze on me that evening.

Day after day, character after character, look after look, my mirror didn't fail to witness my daily transformation but I brushed off it's scrutiny like it didn't matter. 

Today was different, today was Saturday, today was my stay at home day. I stood in front of my mirror and saw my reflection for the first time in weeks; a plain face, natural locs cascading down my shoulders and a home garb which I had downed.

"My master has been all but herself this past few weeks that I forgot how she looks like originally"

"Who are you?" my mirror asked and I was surprised. "You don't recognize me?" I asked it before reminding it of who I was. "It's your master" I explained further and my mirrors response took me aback; "My master has been all but herself this past few weeks that I forgot how she looks like originally" I stared back at my reflection and realized that I shared the same sentiment with my mirror; because I for one was beginning to forget how I looked originally.



I did a switch up today

So many people are beginning to forget who they are

Same goes for the people around them, they can't seem to recognize them anymore.

Get yourself back before you lose it all.

That's it for now

But as always,

Musical Stories for this round!

Dance To My Own by Adekunle Gold

False Confidence by Noah Kahan

How To Disappear by Lana Del Rey 

With love always from

Adétọ́lá❤️



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts